We love two things at The CATS Foundation – sweet and orange! So I wanted to share a recipe of some amazing cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery.
These have been tested at home and although we do not recommend them to beginners they are delicious and look incredible!
For the sponge:
Jaffa Cake Cupcake
Jaffa Cake Cupcake Closeup
210g (7.oz) plain flour
250g (9oz) caster sugar
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
210ml (7.oz) whole milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g (3.oz) smooth orange marmalade
For the frosting:
450g (1lb) icing sugar, sifted
6Og (2oz) cocoa powder, sifted
150g (5.oz) unsalted butter, softened
60ml (2fl oz) whole milk
Mini Jaffa Cakes, to decorate
one or two 12-hole deep muffin tins
1. Preheat the oven to 170C (325F), Gas mark 3, and line the muffin tins with paper muffin cases to make the number you require.
2. First make the sponge. In a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment or using a handheld electric whisk, mix the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together until they form a crumb-like consistency.
3. In a jug, mix together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract by hand.
4. With the mixer or whisk on a slow speed, gradually pour half the liquid into the flour and butter and mix thoroughly until combined. Turn up the speed and beat until the batter is smooth and thick with no lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go along. Once any lumps are gone, turn the speed back down and gradually pour in the rest of the liquid, continuing to mix until smooth and combined.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared paper cases, filling them two-thirds full. Using a 50ml (1.fl oz) ice-cream scoop can make this process easier and will result in even cupcakes.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cupcakes are golden brown and the sponge bounces back when lightly touched. Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tins and placing on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
7. Using a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment or a handheld electric whisk, gradually mix the icing sugar, cocoa powder and butter together on a low speed until combined and there are no large lumps of butter.
Gradually add the milk while mixing on a slow speed. Once incorporated, increase the speed and beat until light and fluffy.
8. Once the cupcakes are cool, use a sharp knife to make a hollow in the centre of each cupcake, approximately 2cm (.in) in diameter and about 3cm (1.in) deep. Retain the cut-out piece of sponge. Spoon about 1-2 teaspoons of orange marmalade into the hollow. Replace the cut-out piece of sponge, trimming to fit and pressing down gently to ensure that the top is level with the rest of the cake.
9. Spoon a generous amount of the frosting onto each cupcake, then gently smooth over with a palette knife, making a swirl at the top if you wish. Top each cupcake with a mini Jaffa Cake.