Fun for kids and adults alike, who doesn’t like a taco and a cone? Enjoy this recipe, it has been extracted from “The Vintage Tea Party Year” Book by Angel Adoree.
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp of salt
450g (1lb) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 corn tortillas
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1/s tsp dried parsley
50g (1 3/4oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
For the salsa:
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
1. In a blender, puree the 2 tomatoes with the lime juice, 100ml of water and the salt. Transfer the puree to a large bowl and add the chicken thighs. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 6 hours over night.
2. Preheat the oven to 200˚C/fan 180˚C/gas mark 6. Cut the tortillas into quarters and roll up each one to form a cone. Secure these with cocktail sticks, then place them on a baking sheet. Bake the cones for 5 minutes, then reshape them slightly, if necessary, before they cool. Place them on a wire rack, allow them to cool, then remove the cocktail sticks.
3. Set the grill to high. Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade, pat them dry and place them on a grill pan. Brush with the oil and sprinkle with the paprika and parsley. Grill them for 10 minutes on each side until the chicken is lightly charred and cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, make the salsa. Dice the avocado, onion and tomato, then toss them all together with the chopped coriander leaves.
5. Transfer the chicken to your work surface and allow it to stand for 5 minutes. Cut the thighs into strips. Layer the chicken, cheese and salsa upright in the cones to assemble the tacones.
Serves 12. Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus marinating. Cooking time: 10 minutes.